Senior Staff Software Engineer, Ads
- Remote UK, Remote Germany, Remote Canada, Remote US, Remote France
To learn the Hiring Ranges for this position, please select your location from the Apply Now dropdown menu.
To learn more about our Hiring Range System, please click this link.
Mozilla Corporation is the non-profit-backed technology company behind pioneering brands like Firefox, the privacy-minded web browser, and Pocket, a service for keeping up with the best articles online. More than 225 million people around the world use its products each month.
Along with 60,000+ volunteer contributors and collaborators all over the world, Mozilla Corporation’s staff are driven by our mission to ensure the Internet is a global public resource, open and accessible to all. We design, build and distribute open-source software that enables people to enjoy the internet on their terms.
What is a Senior Staff Software Engineer at Mozilla?
A Senior Staff Software Engineer is the next level from a Staff Software Engineer. At Mozilla this role can vary, but typically a senior staff engineer leads projects requiring implementation with multiple teams, providing technical leadership, building cross-team relationships, and helping the teams deliver on their objectives. They are a guide in their domain and provide observation and evaluation on our strategy and goals affecting numerous teams and turn our strategy into coordinated action for those teams. They mentor others by stewarding responsibilities to more junior engineers, so they can address new ones, while collaborating with leadership on establishing team consensus and providing direction. Typically, a Senior Staff is a technical lead for multiple teams.About this team and role
We’re growing the Mozilla Ads product team, passionate about display advertising in Mozilla products that is privacy-respecting and values-aligned. You will be one of the lead engineers that will craft, build, and be responsible for the core systems, both front-end and back-end, that support advertising in clients (Firefox, MDN, Pocket, Fakespot, etc). You and your team will be the domain guides when it comes to advertising, providing direction and shepherding to various product teams across Mozilla.
What you’ll do…
- Drive the completion of major initiatives on clear timelines that span across multiple teams and organizations in Mozilla.
- Ensure that the software your team delivers is high quality, measurable, and maintainable.
- Work with front-end teams across Mozilla to support, and extend, existing systems to apply innovative ways and technologies in reaching Mozilla’s advertising goals.
- Collaborate with the office of the CTO on development of industry leading privacy preserving ad technology.
- Write engineering proposals for the team’s biggest projects and provide feedback for major architectural decisions across the organization.
- Collaborate with management on building consensus across the org and providing guidance
What you’ll bring…
- 10+ years of overall software engineering experience
- Confirmed ability to effectively lead and ship sophisticated software projects
- Ability to influence roadmaps and execution in the teams you and your team partner with
- Expertise in working on sophisticated full-stack systems at scale
- Expertise in one of the following back-end technologies: Golang, Rust or Java
- Ability to take initiative in a loosely structured environment to navigate your team to success
- Dedication to our values:
- Welcoming differences
- Being relationship-minded
- Practicing responsible participation
- Having grit
Bonus Points for…
- Experience in data privacy
- Experience in digital advertising or advertising platforms
- Generous performance-based bonus plans to all eligible employees - we share in our success as one team
- Rich medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Generous retirement contributions with 100% immediate vesting (regardless of whether you contribute)
- Quarterly all-company wellness days where everyone takes a pause together
- Country specific holidays plus a day off for your birthday
- One-time home office stipend
- Annual professional development budget
- Quarterly well-being stipend
- Considerable paid parental leave
- Employee referral bonus program
- Other benefits (life/AD&D, disability, EAP, etc. - varies by country)
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and expressions.
We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, as appropriate. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request accommodation.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. Mozilla will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics or any other unlawful behavior, conduct, or purpose.
Req ID: R2458
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 1000+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 2 global offices: Berlin and Toronto
- 9 coworking space locations: San Francisco, San Mateo, London, Paris, Portland, Tulsa, Vancouver, Chicago, and Bellevue
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (majority of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice