About Firefox OS
- What is Firefox OS?
- Backed by some of the biggest names in the industry, Firefox OS is a new open operating system for smartphones developed by Mozilla. Built entirely using HTML5 and other open Web standards, Firefox OS is free from the rules and restrictions of existing proprietary platforms.
- How is Firefox OS different from other operating systems?
Firefox OS is the only operating system with Adaptive App Search. While every other phone today is static, giving you the exact same apps each time you turn it on, Firefox OS is always changing to offer exactly the apps you need at any moment in your life. It adapts so you can live every moment to its fullest.
Firefox OS is brought to you by Mozilla, a global nonprofit organization that emphasizes principle over profit. We believe that the Web is a shared public resource to be cared for, not a commodity to be sold. We work with a worldwide community to create open source products like Mozilla Firefox and to innovate for the benefit of the individual and the betterment of the Web. The result is great products built by passionate people and better choices for everyone.
Buying Firefox OS
- What phones will Firefox OS be available on?
- You can purchase Firefox OS on a ZTE Open, LG Fireweb or an Alcatel One Touch device.
- Where can I buy Firefox OS?
Firefox OS is available to buy across 14 countries across the globe. You can purchase a device in:
- Brazil with Vivo
- Chile with Movistar
- Colombia with Movistar
- Germany with Congstar
- Greece with Cosmote
- Hungary with both Telenor and T-Mobile
- Italy with TIM
- Mexico with Movistar
- Montenegro with Telenor
- Peru with Movistar
- Poland with T-Mobile
- Serbia with Telenor
- Spain with Movistar
- Uruguay with Movistar
- Venezuela with Movistar
To date, 17 Operators spanning the globe have committed to distributing Firefox OS devices: América Móvil, China Unicom, Deutsche Telekom, Etisalat, Hutchison Three Group, KDDI, Korea Telecom, MegaFon, Qtel, SingTel, Smart, Sprint, Telecom Italia Group, Telefónica, Telenor, TMN and VimpelCom.
As a result, more countries and mobile phone operators will be selling Firefox OS in the future. Our operator partners will distribute the phones through a variety of locally-specific channels.
- What will be the price of the phone?
- Pricing is not set by Mozilla and will be established by our operator and manufacturer partners based on local market dynamics.
- What apps will be available on Firefox OS?
- The growing list includes leading apps like Facebook, Twitter, Nokia HERE maps, Cut the Rope, and Time Out. Many more are being made available every day.
- Is Firefox OS available in my language?
- Firefox OS is currently available in Spanish, Polish, English, Italian, Portuguese, German, Serbian, Hungarian and Greek. We’re working on adding more languages all the time.
Using Firefox OS
- Adaptive App Search
- Get information on any subject right when you need it, brought to you and your phone by Firefox OS.
- Firefox Marketplace
- Your go-to source for the best apps for Firefox OS.
- Firefox browser
- The fast, smart, safe way to get the best of the Web.
- Deep integration with social media
- Full access to every Twitter and Facebook update from wherever you are.
- With built-in style filters for fun, creative shots.
- FM Radio
- All the audio you want on the go, all on one device.
- Includes directions, traffic and local transit information.
Privacy and Security
Mozilla was the first to implement the Do Not Track privacy feature. Firefox also features customizable security settings to manage passwords, history, private data, cookies, site options and add-ons. Learn more.
Are you a developer? Have questions? Learn more at the Mozilla Developer Network.