Staff Full Stack Software Engineer, MDN (12 Month Fixed Term Contract)
- Remote France, Remote UK, Remote Germany
To learn more about our Hiring Range System, please click this link.
Mozilla Corporation is the non-profit-backed technology company behind pioneering brands like Firefox, the privacy-minded web browser, and Pocket, a service for keeping up with the best articles online. More than 225 million people around the world use its products each month.
Along with 60,000+ volunteer contributors and collaborators all over the world, Mozilla Corporation’s staff are driven by our mission to ensure the Internet is a global public resource, open and accessible to all. We design, build and distribute open-source software that enables people to enjoy the internet on their terms.
About this team and role:
The MDN Web Docs (https://developer.mozilla.org) engineering team is looking for an experienced software engineer to help us maintain and evolve the open-source platform (https://github.com/mdn) that powers a website loved by millions of developers worldwide.
We’re a small, friendly and dedicated group of software engineers, and we’re not just looking for someone with the desired technical skills, but also for someone who wants to build and maintain a friendly and collaborative culture as much as we do. We’re always striving to make MDN better, but we also want to have some fun and help each other along the way.
It’s an exciting time to join the MDN engineering team. We’ve made dramatic changes to our platform over the past year, enabling us to resolve entrenched issues that have held MDN back for years, but there’s so much more to do!
We're investing in MDN's platform, transforming it to support a faster pace of experimentation with new features and overall improvement. A major focus of this effort is refactoring our codebase to enhance flexibility and performance. In this role, you will collaborate closely with the team to bring this vision to fruition.
You'll work in close partnership with team members across various disciplines, including technical writers, UX designers, product managers, and marketers. Additionally, we encourage you to share your expertise with the team and the dedicated volunteers who contribute to MDN, fostering a collaborative learning environment.
What you'll do:
- Maintaining and improving the MDN platform.
- Developing new features and owning them from local development to production.
- Enhancing MDN's build system to significantly reduce deployment times.
- Collaborating with our content team to enhance the MDN authoring experience.
- Refactoring our front-end client and SSR pipeline.
- Simplifying the integration of MDN data into other products.
What you'll bring:
- A minimum of a Bachelor's degree in computer science or a related field, or equivalent years of experience.
- A minimum of 5 years of software development experience.
- Strong fundamentals in software engineering, including modularity, abstraction, data structures, and algorithms.
- Experience with Rust (or a similar compiled language).
- Extensive experience in both frontend and backend web development, with a preference for experience on high-traffic websites.
- Good knowledge of developing continuous integration and deployment (CI/CD) workflows, particularly using GitHub Actions.
- Full-stack mentality, you care about building, deploying and running applications.
- The ability to work effectively on a remote, geographically distributed team.
Bonus Points for…
- Experience in application/systems programming (Linux/MacOS/Windows).
- Experience working within open source projects.
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and expressions.
We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, as appropriate. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request accommodation.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. Mozilla will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics or any other unlawful behavior, conduct, or purpose.
Req ID: R2377
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 1000+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 2 global offices: Berlin and Toronto
- 9 coworking space locations: San Francisco, San Mateo, London, Paris, Portland, Tulsa, Vancouver, Chicago, and Bellevue
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (majority of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice