Senior Backend Engineer, Mozsocial
- Mozilla Social
- Remote Germany, Remote US, Remote Canada
To learn the Hiring Ranges for this position, please select your location from the Apply Now dropdown menu.
To learn more about our Hiring Range System, please click this link.
The Mozilla Corporation is the non-profit-backed technology company that is on a mission to ensure the internet is a global public resource, open and accessible to all. We design, build and distribute open-source software that enables more than 225 million people around the world to enjoy the internet on their terms.
The team and opportunity
Mozilla Social’s vision is to develop an integrated platform that empowers users through seamless communication, content discovery, curation, and sharing capabilities, enabling them to stay up-to-date, explore new perspectives, and engage within a safe and enriching experience.
For 25 years, Mozilla has been committed to building an internet that is a global public resource, based on principles that safeguard privacy, accessibility, and transparency. As we venture into the social internet landscape, we are seeking a Senior Backend Engineer who is eager to address exciting challenges and craft the future of social media in favor of users rather than shareholders. With ample opportunities for end-to-end ownership, you will have a tremendous impact on people across various domains, platforms, and geographies.
What you’ll do:
- Build our content platform engaging millions of users a day across Firefox, mobile apps, and web surfaces.
- Develop reusable patterns and practices for deploying systems at scale on cloud platforms.
- Deliver new features to our users by developing and enhancing our REST APIs.
- Deploy machine learning models into production systems.
- Create and support strategies for empowering human in the loop recommendation solutions.
- Collaborate with peers, pair program, code review, and collaborate with the greater organization.
- Support incidents and periodic on-call rotation.
What you bring…
- At least 4 years of professional experience in software engineering
- Experience building platforms with object oriented conventions.
- Experience with REST API design and development
- Experience with service oriented architecture and distributed systems
- Experience deploying services in cloud environments such as Google Cloud and Amazon Web Services.
- Strong communication skills and an ability to approach problems in a structured way and distill complex issues into actionable insights.
- Experience deploying machine learning models to production environments.
- Experience integrating with data lakes, data warehouses, or creating data pipelines.
- Direct experience with infrastructure technologies such as GCP, Terraform, Cloudformation, and/or Docker.
- Our team requires skills in a variety of domains. You should ideally have experience with some of the areas listed above, and be passionate about learning new things.
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and expressions.
We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, as appropriate. Please contact us at email@example.com to request accommodation.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. Mozilla will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics or any other unlawful behavior, conduct, or purpose.
Req ID: R2298
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 700+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 5 global offices: San Francisco, Toronto, Paris, Berlin, and Beijing
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice