Staff Front End Engineer
- Core Product-Operations
- Remote US
To learn more about our Hiring Range System, please click this link.
We’re looking for a Front-End Engineer, who will be one of the first technical hires on a new product line. You will play a key role in shaping and building a new product from early prototyping, to MVPs, to finding product market fit. You will work with a very small cross-functional team that includes engineering, design and product management, and you will have wide latitude to operate independently with your teammates. Are you inventive, creative, and passionate about the Web? Are you invigorated by new challenges? Do you excel working collaboratively, with a team that supports you in making your very best contribution? If you answered yes, we might be looking for you!
What you’ll do
- Build products that can impact future experiences on the Web.
- Prototype and develop early stage products with a keen eye for user experience.
- Understand the practical considerations inherent to translating visual designs into implementation.
- Write well-documented code and associated tests.
- Communicate effectively across disciplines.
- Rapidly learn new tools, frameworks and platforms.
What you bring
- Extensive experience (10+ years) building, deploying, and maintaining web applications with large numbers of users.
- Experience building SPAs (single page applications), using frameworks such as React, Svelte and their ecosystems.
- Experience building responsive mobile web sites.
- Experience collaborating with designers and working with wireframes, mockups, and design systems.
- Experience developing software products in a startup or highly lean environments
- An understanding of accessibility on the web (screen reader compatibility, color/contrast choices, etc).
- Experience working in, contributing to, or managing open source software projects.
- Experience working with CI/CD systems and frontend test automation suites.
- Mobile app development experience, either using a native language (i.e. Swift) or a cross-platform framework (i.e. React Native).
- An understanding of social media platforms; the Fediverse; and web authentication, integration, syndication technologies and approaches.
- Full stack experience, with ability to contribute and collaborate on backend, infrastructure, and ops.
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and expressions.
We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, as appropriate. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request accommodation.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. Mozilla will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics or any other unlawful behavior, conduct, or purpose.
Req ID: R2184
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 700+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 5 global offices: San Francisco, Toronto, Paris, Berlin, and Beijing
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice