Senior Staff Software Engineer - Networking
- Core Product-Firefox
- Remote US, Remote France, Remote Canada, Remote Germany, Remote UK
To learn more about our Hiring Range System, please click this link.
What is a Senior Staff Software Engineer at Mozilla?
A Senior Staff Software Engineer is the next level from a Staff Software Engineer. At Mozilla this role can vary, but typically a Senior Staff Engineer leads projects requiring implementation across multiple teams, providing technical leadership, building cross-team relationships, and helping the teams deliver on their objectives. The Senior Staff Engineer is an expert in their domain. They provide feedback on our strategy and goals affecting multiple teams and turn our strategy into coordinated action for those teams. They mentor others by stewarding responsibilities to junior and senior engineers so they can take on new ones, while collaborating with management on building team consensus and providing technical direction.
The Mozilla Corporation's Gecko networking team is looking for skilled developers to work on a first-class networking stack and improve web experiences for millions of Firefox users. The team is working on the core of the browser that moves the web. The fundamental network protocols and features like HTTP, QUIC, caching and DNS are our responsibility. We strive to provide a performant and secure browsing experience for our users. Furthermore we work on advanced web platform networking API’s like Fetch, WebSockets and WebTransport. We improve our existing implementations and together with the broader community we advance the web through the evolution of relevant standards.
Is debugging networking protocols or multi-threaded applications an exciting challenge for you? If you’re also enthusiastic about working collaboratively with a worldwide community, we'd love to hear from you!
Opportunities to collaborate with other browser teams, and working in the open is the norm. Firefox is a mature project always looking for new optimizations, and we are trying to write some of our new components in Rust. You’ll be responsible for writing code, tests, specifications, building prototypes, solving problems, and analyzing data. You'll get feedback from real users and synthesize it into bug reports, feature designs, and strategic direction to make the web platform even better over time.
In this role you will:
- Improve Firefox’s web browsing experience with a particular focus on the networking stack and network related API’s, e.g. Fetch, WebSockets, WebTransport, etc.
- Design and implement new web platform features in collaboration with the web community
- Debug and fix problems in our multi-threaded code base
- Debug platform-specific networking issues
- Improve Firefox’s stability, correctness and performance
- Analyze and reduce Firefox’s memory usage
- Work cooperatively with other Mozillians to identify and correct issues
Your professional profile:
- 8+ years of experience as a Software Engineer
- Proficient in C++
- Skilled professional in HTTP protocols and implementations, experience implementing networking standards
- Experience performing high level system design, project planning, roadmap strategy and resourcing
- Experience and comfortable working with distributed teams
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience with conflict resolution and decision making
- Experience or interest in learning Rust
- Actively coaches and shares knowledge to fellow and cross over engineering teams
- Experience working on a cross-platform native application
- Creative problem-solver and skilled debugger
- Experience writing and debugging multi-threaded code
- Ability to learn a large and complex multi-language code base
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
We value a variety of voices. You don’t need to check every box on this list to apply.
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and expressions.
We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, as appropriate. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request accommodation.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. Mozilla will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics or any other unlawful behavior, conduct, or purpose.
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 700+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 5 global offices: San Francisco, Toronto, Paris, Berlin, and Beijing
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice