Senior Business Development Lead
- Business Development
- Remote US
To learn more about our Hiring Range System, please click this link.
Every day, hundreds of millions of people rely on Mozilla and our flagship browser, Firefox, to explore and develop for the Internet. Mozilla helps people to safely discover the world online as well as create new experiences on desktops, smartphones, tablets, and even in virtual and augmented reality, all while respecting their privacy. This is a time of opportunity and growth at Mozilla that is coinciding with a unique moment for the market in general. If you are eager to take on the challenge of making the user experience of the Internet substantively better, Mozilla could be a great fit for you. We are an organization of people who are comfortable testing assumptions and shaking up the status quo to advocate for better products and services. Mozilla's brand promise and market position present a large number of new opportunities, and your role will be to help us source, evaluate, and launch those.
About the role
The Business & Corporate Development team leads strategic and product partnerships, distribution, growth, and investment opportunities. We pay attention to emerging technologies and pursue new market opportunities in alignment with Mozilla's products. We want to add an outstanding senior manager to our team who can be responsible for leading, launching, and landing net new partnership(s) and developing strategy and execution plans with existing partnership(s)!
Just about everything we do is associated with sales and partnerships. Sourcing new partnership(s) is sales. Convincing inquisitive people to invest and partner with Mozilla is sales. Selling Mozilla’s product and value exchange is sales. Bringing internal and executives along is sales. We also work cross-functionally to develop and optimize products, services and technologies for Mozilla’s users. Our broader team is both analytical and strategic, taking a pragmatic approach to driving high impact.
Our ideal candidate is well-rounded and experienced in contributing to a variety of business challenges, with outstanding sales skills. We welcome self starters who can lead, launch, and land net new partnerships, "crunch the numbers" as easily as critically think through strategic issues and communicate to senior stakeholders. The position requires someone who approaches problems in a structured way and also is comfortable with ambiguity. Candidates should drive and evolve early stage partnership ideas into future-growth initiatives, using their experience: writing business plans, building financial models, spec’ing new offerings, assembling operational teams and completing successful launches of partnerships, programs and/or products that drive substantial impact. Successful candidates will have a solid understanding of existing ecosystems and the ability to work effectively with and drive accountability with business partners. Additionally, the candidate will have proven ability to expand existing partnerships, secure new partners that will accelerate growth initiatives, build partnership strategies as well as lead execution, and source and negotiate complex, high-impact agreements. This role will report to the Director of Business Development.
What you’ll do
- Source and generate a pipeline of net new partnerships from leads to agreement to management
- Develop compelling pitch materials and present to external/internal stakeholders
- Drive decision-making and alignment with key executives. Cultivate relationships with decision-makers internally and at partner companies
- Lead the full life-cycle of partner management execution from initial engagement through agreement structure, close and product/program/service launch
- Articulate and refine Mozilla’s value proposition, to secure partner commitments to enter into mutually-beneficial, sustainable relationships
- Own market and opportunity assessment and recommendations; collaborate to develop forecasts and models to measure the value and impact of potential opportunities
- Work with the partner management team and cross-functionally (finance, product, data science, operations, marketing, engineering, policy and legal) to ensure partner and project success
- Formulate and test market entry hypotheses, and co-develop recommendations with product (and engineering) teams
- Provide subject matter expertise for relevant landscapes, such as browsers, search, consumer tech, adtech, mobile, ecommerce, and shopping,payments, AR/VR, instant communication. Outputs may include, but are not limited to: industry scans, patterns and trends, competitive analysis, pricing/cost analysis, etc.
- BS/BA degree required; MBA recommended
- Background of 8+ years of experience in sales/partnerships/business development at software, hardware or Internet companies.
- Experience of managing a sales revenue quota a plus; Experience with browser and search industries a plus.
- Excellent communication, presentation and persuasion skills, i.e., direct and concise storytelling ability (slides/docs/models)
- Established record of sound judgment and decision making
- Ability to drive collaboration and build connective tissue cross-organization
- Ability to self-start, lead, launch, and lang. Curiosity and grit are welcome
- Mozilla supports remote work
- Travel once it is safe to do so
- Able to supply sterling recommendations from colleagues, team members and former managers
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and expressions.
We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, as appropriate. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request accommodation.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. Mozilla will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics or any other unlawful behavior, conduct, or purpose.
Req ID: R2133
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 700+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 5 global offices: San Francisco, Toronto, Paris, Berlin, and Beijing
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice