MozFest Communications Manager
- Remote US, Remote Canada, Remote Germany, Remote UK
The Mozilla Foundation is a nonprofit public benefit organization. Our mission is to ensure that the Internet is a global public resource, open and accessible to all. Join us and become part of our mission to promote openness, innovation, and opportunity online!
Twenty years ago, this meant building a browser and protecting the open web. Today, it also includes making sure AI and data driven technology is more trustworthy. In order to focus on places where Mozilla can impact the next era of our work, we are increasingly working on the topic of trustworthy AI. For us, this means especially two things: human agency is a core part of how AI is built and integrated, and corporate accountability is real and enforced.
We are seeking a creative and highly organized individual to fill an open position for Mozilla Festival Communications Manager.
The Mozilla Festival is an outstanding hybrid: part art, tech and society convening, part maker festival, and the premiere capturing activists in diverse global movements fighting for a more humane digital world. It is Mozilla’s largest public facing event hosting 1000’s of participants engaging across 100’s of sessions led by representatives from over 100 countries. MozFest is a celebration for, by, and about people who love the internet, showcasing world-changing ideas and technology through interactive sessions, art exhibitions, and speaker events. In 2023, MozFest is growing to a hybrid model and will host both virtual and in-person events globally.
About this role
The person in this role crafts the communication strategy around the Festival. This position plans and performs the strategy in partnership and alignment with the Marketing and Communication team. They provide a consistent voice across communications that include but are not limited to: emails, blogs, newsletters and social media platforms. This role plays a meaningful role in developing our festival narrative, around which our marketing plans, community ambassador program, and festival community sessions are mapped.
This position supports Mozilla’s mission by ensuring two way communication between the organization, the Mozilla Festival team, and the broader Mozilla community. This role will support network growth by uplifting projects and people from within the organization and around the movement. The position serves as an important link between Mozilla’s Global Programs teams and the Advocacy, Digital Engagement to more broadly align the work of the MozFest Team with the broader communications strategy of the organization.
As a MozFest Communications Manager at Mozilla, you will…
- Lead crucial communications planning for the festival.
- Build event communications strategy that applies to website, newsletter, email, social media, and blogging platforms to drive ticket sales, donations, increased website traffic, and a healthy online and local community.
- Collaborate with the organization’s Marketing & Communications Team to build and ensure compliance with the organizational communications strategy providing a consistent and cohesive voice across all communications pertaining to the festival.
- Produce the festival communication content calendar
- Develop and publish approved content across platforms (emails, newsletter, blogposts, etc) to promote the festival, ticket sales, and share community stories to tell the story of the festival.
- With the support of the Digital Engagement team, develop and implement processes for newsletter design, subscription management, and newsletter sends.
- Invite the MozFest team to participate in communications content creation, as it pertains to their work.
- Lead and iterate on the MozFest Ambassador program; a program crafted for highly engaged MozFest community members to help us spread the word about MozFest through specific asks.
- Lead all aspects of monthly MozFest communications analytics across platforms for reporting and adjusting the communications strategy as data reveals opportunities to improve.
- Provide team leadership around our community research strategy with the Sr Digital Producer, and oversight for standard process methods and tools around communications that enable strategic insight into customer segments, trends, needs, and expectations.
- Support consistent identity & narrative across key moments (e.g. Wrangler Spaces, Opening Circle, Closing Circle, etc)
- Collaborate with Partnerships & Dialogues Lead on communications around MozFest main stage events to achieve a well-rounded narrative that supports the festival and Mozilla Foundation goals.
- In collaboration with the foundation’s Head of Marketing, co-work with the Social Media Coordinator.
- Provide planning, leadership, and facilitation support across all Mozilla Festival Team and Global Programs activities to build a cohesive and accessible offering of our work.
Your Professional Profile:
- 5+ years experience working in a similar marketing or communications role.
- Excellent written and verbal communication including proofreading and editing skills with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to understand and present technical information (particularly around AI) to technical and non-technical audiences and write in a friendly, inclusive, and approachable manner for global audiences.
- Quick learner and self-starter who has the ability to tackle problems independently or collaboratively across numerous teams and think creatively about ways we can be telling our story better.
- In-depth knowledge of best writing and messaging practices for community correspondence leading to action and engagement.
- Excellent project management skills, including time management, goal-setting, multitasking and prioritization.
- Proven experience developing content for targeted audiences.
- Knowledge and understanding of current trends in the communications industry including an understanding of SEO and web traffic metrics.
We Are Excited To See Any Additional Experience With:
- Familiarity with Wagtail, Acoustic platforms and Canva (or other graphic design software), is a plus.
- Familiarity or experience working with CRM software is an asset.
- Ability to tell stories using data would be ideal.
Salary and Benefits Information:
The Mozilla Foundation is dedicated to fair and equitable compensation for our staff. We aim to pay a competitive and market-based salary based on the responsibilities and requirements of the role. We aim to offer at the midpoint of our salary ranges for the purposes of increasing inclusivity and fairness of our offer process and ensuring internal equity. We do not ask for, or take into account, salary histories in our offer process.
The base salary ranges, and the mid-point, for this role is listed below. We target the 75th percentile of market pay as a salary band midpoint for all levels, with 10% either side of the midpoint to create a salary range.These four countries are where we most commonly employ staff.
- Germany: €77,973 - €95,300 (mid-point: €86,637)
- UK: £46,884 - £57,302 (mid-point: £52,093)
- Canada: $89,666 - $109,591 (mid-point: $99,629)
- US: $84,308 - $103,043 (mid-point: $93,675)
We may also add in a geographic differential to this base salary based on the local job market. This would be applied to the above ranges depending on the successful candidate’s location. Below are some of the common cities in which we hire staff along with examples of salary ranges,with the geographical differential applied:
- Inner London: £51,103 - £62,459 (mid-point: £56,781)
- Toronto: $96,749 - $118,249 (mid-point: $107,499)
- New York: $93,412 - $114,171 (mid-point: $103,791)
The range for your specific location will be discussed in screening conversations if your application is successful.
We offer the following benefits:
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance + Accidental Death & Dismemberment
- Short-Term Disability and Long-Term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Retirement Plan contributions
- 20 Paid Time Off days per year (prorated) + your birthday
- Company Holidays + Shutdown
- Wellness budget
- Professional Development budget
- Top up program for Pregnancy and Parental leaves
Benefits are subject to change at any time at the discretion of Mozilla Foundation.
Mozilla Foundation Hiring Practices:
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities and expressions.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation at email@example.com.
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 700+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 5 global offices: San Francisco, Toronto, Paris, Berlin, and Beijing
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice