- Remote: Canada, US, Germany, UK
MZLA Technologies Corporation (MZLA) is a new, wholly owned subsidiary of Mozilla Foundation which runs the Thunderbird project. Thunderbird is a global, free, and open source email client that has grown significantly since its launch 10+ years ago! The project is governed by its community, which means that strategic and other high-level decisions are publicly discussed and decided upon by the elected Thunderbird Council. Thunderbird has grown in donations, staff, and aspirations over the last years. It is looking to mature and expand its business practices to ensure future operational success. This new role is an opportunity for an experienced engineer who is excited to design and implement new websites and improve our existing ones, all to support Thunderbird’s ongoing growth.
We are looking for an experienced front-end developer, with a strong UI and UX design background to join our growing organization. You will be working with a heavily back-end oriented team in order to implement elegant solutions to improve our application.
You will help us shape our culture to bring design and front-end development to the forefront of our daily workflow.
What you’ll get to do:
- Create UI and UX strategies based on our target goals.
- Conduct research and deconstruct our users’ digital interactions and habits, transforming the results to actionable work items.
- Create and maintain digital assets, such as interface design files, wireframes, and interactive mock-ups using Figma.
- Understand the limitations of our tech stack and business model and provide technical advice wherever necessary.
- Collaborate with back-end engineers to iterate upon newly implemented features and bring proper UX and UI solutions to existing areas.
We’re looking for someone with:
- 5+ years’ experience as a front-end developer in a professional setting.
- 3+ years’ experience as a UI/UX designer.
- Expert knowledge of standard CSS.
- Expert knowledge of HTML5 and its best practices.
- Good knowledge of Accessibility best practices.
- Proficiency with Figma.
- Interest in and ability to work with a distributed team (requires good asynchronous written communication skills as well as good verbal communication skills).
- Experience working in multidisciplinary teams of technical and non-technical people, with a deep respect for the different skills that people bring.
- A user-centered approach, with a keen interest in collaborating with and serving a community’s needs.
Bonus Points for:
- Experience developing cross-platform desktop applications.
- Proficiency using the command line.
- Proficiency with the Mercurial (or Git) version control system.
- Ability to test the application on multiple platforms (Windows, macOS, Linux).
- Previous experience and collaboration with an OpenSource project.
We offer the following benefits (US/Canada):
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance + Accidental Death & Dismemberment
- Short-Term Disability and Long-Term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Retirement Plan contributions
- 24 Paid Time Off days per year (prorated) + your birthday
- Company Holidays + Year-End Shutdown
- Remote Work Set-Up: latest hardware + internet reimbursement
- Maternity and Parental leaves
Benefits are subject to change at any time at the discretion of MZLA Technologies Corp. Benefits for overseas staff follow statutory requirements and are managed by our Employer of Record partner.
Applicants must reside in and have work authorization for one of the country locations specified above. We are unable to consider applicants outside of these markets at this time.
MZLA Technologies Corporation (MZLA) Hiring Practices
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities and expressions.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation at firstname.lastname@example.org.
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 700+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 9 global offices: Mountain View, San Francisco, Portland, Vancouver, Toronto, Paris, London, Berlin, and Beijing
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice