- Core Product-Operations
- Remote US, Remote San Francisco Bay Area, Remote Canada, Remote Toronto/Vancouver area
At Mozilla, we believe that the “metaverse” – like the internet itself – should be open and accessible to all. That’s why we’re building Hubs.
Hubs empowers communities to gather in safe, private, decentralized virtual spaces where they are in control. Hubs fosters creativity and connection at a time when online interactions often lack the spontaneity and opportunity to delight, inspire, and build trust between people.
As a site reliability engineer on the Hubs team, you will be responsible for the availability, performance, efficiency, change management, monitoring, emergency response, and capacity planning of our services. You’ll help establish an SRE/DevOps culture on our engineering team and ensure those principles are carried throughout the development life cycle. You will be an integrated member of our engineering team and split your work between operations and development, especially with regards to work that furthers SRE principles.
What You'll Get To Do
- Write code to optimize, provision, and harden the reliability and security of our production systems
- Monitor and manage the operation of live servers
- Respond to production outages and downtime, and participate in blameless retrospectives to learn how to prevent them in the future
- Set “error budgets” and measure our reliability against them
- Forecast demand and proactively engage in capacity planning
- Build tools for stress testing and measuring performance
- Review and merge pull requests from developers in the community who want to customize, extend, and improve our core codebase
- Good CS fundamentals (data structures, algorithms, and system design) that allow you to learn, debug, and apply knowledge flexibly
- Experience and interest in servicing live production systems
- Experience with cloud providers and infrastructure as code
- Experience writing front-end and back-end code
- Experience building and shipping product features to a live production environment
- Knowledge of Unix system internals
- Knowledge of web performance and scalability
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills
Bonus points for
- Experience with our stack:
- GCP and AWS
- Contributions to open-source projects
- Preference for working with a fully-remote teams
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and expressions.
We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, as appropriate. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request accommodation.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. Mozilla will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics or any other unlawful behavior, conduct, or purpose.
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 700+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 9 global offices: Mountain View, San Francisco, Portland, Vancouver, Toronto, Paris, London, Berlin, and Beijing
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice