- Core Product-Firefox
- Berlin Office, Remote Germany
Mentor: Dimi Lee / Sergey Galich
Target Start Date: Immediately
Duration: 1 year
Mozilla is hiring a part-time/20 hours per week Student Worker (Werkstudent) into our Privacy & Protections engineering team. Our headquarters are based in San Francisco, but this position will be located in Berlin, Germany.
We are engineers, designers, makers, and problem solvers. We work in the fishbowl known as the open-source community, with a clear focus on making the web better. Working with us, you’ll help build exciting new features and improvements in Firefox. To be a teammate, we ask that you be technically curious, a capable and always-interested-in-learning-more programmer or researcher, and excited to be moving the Mozilla mission forward.
Mozilla isn’t just a phenomenal place to work, it’s an experience you’ll carry throughout your career. With our German Student Worker program, you’ll have the opportunity to be mentored one-on-one by a talented and expert engineer, impact the projects you’ll collaborate on, and never be bored. Ever. From the passionate people you’ll learn from, to the chances to make the web a better place, your time with Mozilla will be unlike any other.
We offer flexible working hours and competitive compensation depending on the number of hours. You will be able to participate in our office life, including various social activities. More meaningfully, you will help us improve the core features of Firefox, making a positive impact on the internet.
- Currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Ph.D. degree program in a university in or around Berlin in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related technical field focusing on security, privacy, or software development
- Strong communication skills and proficiency in English
- Basic knowledge of core web technologies and how browsers work on a high level
- An understanding of, and passion for, security and privacy on the web
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and expressions.
We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, as appropriate. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request accommodation.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. Mozilla will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics or any other unlawful behavior, conduct, or purpose.
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 700+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 9 global offices: Mountain View, San Francisco, Portland, Vancouver, Toronto, Paris, London, Berlin, and Beijing
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice