- Global Policy
- Remote Germany, Remote UK, Remote Belgium
Mozilla Corporation is the non-profit-backed technology company behind pioneering brands like Firefox, the privacy-minded web browser, and Pocket, the content discovery platform. More than 270 million people around the world use its products each month.
Along with 20,000+ volunteer contributors and collaborators all over the world, Mozilla Corporation’s staff are driven by our vision of becoming the trusted guide to a joyful internet. We design, build and distribute software that enables people to enjoy the internet on their terms.
At Mozilla our mission is to champion the value of the internet as a global public resource. To realize the Mozilla Manifesto we need global laws, policies, and a public interest agenda in support of (1) our open source products and technologies (2) all consumers, including marginalized and oppressed communities and the Global Majority and (3) a healthy tech ecosystem. Do you like working on big-picture problems? Join us to influence the future of tech policy!
This position reports into the Mozilla Corporation's Chief Legal Officer and has accountability to the Mozilla Foundation's Executive Director. The successful candidate will serve as the top 'module owner' for global internet policy within Mozilla's community governance system.
What You'll Get To Do
We are seeking an entrepreneurial and strategic leader to drive our Mozilla-wide public policy and government affairs work. Working remotely, you will manage staff across entities and work cross-functionally to build and implement short and long term strategy in alignment with product, business, and ecosystem needs. You will use a wide variety of resources and capabilities to represent our positions in the Trans-Atlantic, Asia Pacific, and African regions. You'll get to creatively lead and influence through skilled 'matrix management' skills and model how participatory collaboration can result in clear and timely decisions.
- Drive Mozilla's impact to advance our public mission on key issues.
- Lead a versatile team of government affairs, ICT policy and research professionals; bring to bear their regional and subject matter expertise, cultivate their professional development; and supplement with limited external resources.
- Position Mozilla as a trusted guide to governments, civil society, academia and press on competition, privacy, security, data, AI, platform accountability, connectivity, researcher access, and transparency.
- Listen to and partner with teams across the Mozilla Foundation and Corporation (including engineering, product, comms, security, legal, comms, advocacy, research and fellows) to develop positions aligned with priorities and anticipating emerging regulatory threats and opportunities in the US and internationally.
- Promote participation into the government affairs and public policy function from across Mozilla entities.
- Publicly write, speak, and serve as a resource for key influencers and policymakers across the government, nonprofit, and private sectors.
- Represent Mozilla externally in publications, media, public events, regulatory settings, and other forums.
- Develop relationships across timezones, with emphasis to the UK, Germany and USA.
- 8+ years of experience influencing global law and policy through a legal, government affairs, public policy, or political role.
- 5+ years management and leadership experience recruiting, retaining, developing and motivating a diverse and distributed team; handling related people management, budgeting functions, and external consultants.
- Organizational savvy to lead across multiple internal clients and build teams across dotted line reporting structures.
- Experience driving impact, outcomes and engagement using limited resources to get results.
- High degree of skill engaging with social media, press, regulators, and policy makers across the core issues identified above.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with ability to distill nuanced concepts into concise messages, write and edit for a variety of audiences, and deliver polished presentations.
- Experience understanding and articulating the impact of technology on individuals and communities worldwide and driving effective solutions.
- Relevant global experience across cultures, languages, histories, and perspectives beyond the Trans-Atlantic.
Bonus points for
- Proficiency in Google Suite, Slack and Zoom
- Substantive knowledge of ICT technologies
- In-house experience at a multinational technology company
- Proficiency in 2+ languages
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and expressions.
We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, as appropriate. Please contact us at email@example.com to request accommodation.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. Mozilla will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics or any other unlawful behavior, conduct, or purpose.
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 700+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 9 global offices: Mountain View, San Francisco, Portland, Vancouver, Toronto, Paris, London, Berlin, and Beijing
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice