- Remote US, San Francisco Office, Remote Canada, Toronto Office, Remote Germany, Berlin Office, Remote UK
The Mozilla Foundation is a nonprofit public benefit organization. Our mission is to ensure that the Internet is a global public resource, open and accessible to all. Join us and become part of our mission to promote openness, innovation, and opportunity online!
Twenty years ago, this meant building a browser and protecting the open web. Today, it also includes making sure AI and data driven technology is more trustworthy. In order to focus on places where Mozilla can impact the next era of our work, we are increasingly working on the topic of trustworthy AI. For us, this means especially two things: human agency is a core part of how AI is built and integrated, and corporate accountability is real and enforced.
You will serve as a member of a small legal department within the Mozilla Foundation that is responsible for overseeing delivery of legal services and resources to accomplish current and future organizational goals, strategies and priorities.
You will be responsible for drafting and negotiating independent contractor, consulting, vendor and other agreements; and will support and work closely with team members throughout the Foundation to advance our mission to protect the free and open internet.
You are a reliable, experienced, and self-motivated individual with relational and communication skills, in written and verbal form, who will work independently and as part of our team.
You have a genuine interest in logistical responsibilities, a minimum of five years contract management experience, and a desire to learn, grow, and contribute to the impact of the Mozilla Foundation.
As a Contract Manager at Mozilla, you will…
Prioritize, review, draft, negotiate, and process a broad range of agreements (including consulting, vendor, and contractor commercial agreements, inbound and outbound licensing agreements, releases, non-disclosure, fellowship, speaker and honorarium agreements as well as other agreements that may come up from time to time), and support program teams as needed. As part of this, you will:
- Draft, review, negotiate agreements from established templates or third-party papers and coordinate with internal teams (Finance, Human Resources and program teams) and Legal Counsel as appropriate to ensure all needed reviews and approvals are timely processed;
- Serve as primary point of contact for agreements and legal review, and liaise with legal counsel and external partners as required;
- Coordinate with legal counsel to manage legal requests, gather appropriate information, and provide advice to Mozilla program teams;
- Manage the contract lifecycle from intake requests to electronic signatures and internal filing, and to post-execution, using tools such as Bugzilla, DocuSign, Bill.com and Box;
- Work with and support Mozilla program teams, contractors, partners, and fellows;
- Manage and maintain updates to agreement templates and guidance documents on contract processes;
- Develop, enhance and implement, in coordination with the Operations team and legal counsel new contract and program management processes and opportunities to streamline existing processes and improve efficiencies;
- Oversee annual charitable state registration filings with third party service provider;
- Assist the Operations Team with special projects as needed; and
- Maintain Bugzilla, the Foundation's contracts management system, and provide training to new staff members.
Your Professional Profile:
Bring a successful track record that demonstrates the ability to draft, negotiate, and manage the process to finalize independent contractor, consulting, procurement, professional, and other service agreements for a technology-driven non-profit organization. Qualified applicants will bring the following experience and talents to the Contract Manager role:
- 5+ years of relevant contracts management and/or paralegal background with extensive experience drafting and negotiating agreements
- Experience reviewing, drafting, and negotiating agreements governed by US law
- Excellent oral and written communication, drafting, and negotiation skills
- Meticulous attention to detail and accuracy
- Dedication to service and support for members of our team; timely response to requests and follow-up as needed
- Excellent project and time management skills including experience being an active participant in planning, developing, and maintaining contract processes
- Risk analysis experience and appreciation of business considerations; comfortable making business and legal recommendations to members of our team
- Enthusiasm for the Mozilla mission; ability to operate independently and as a team member
- Familiarity with and/or the ability to be trained to use basic web technologies (e.g. Bill.com, Box, DocuSign, etc.)
We Are Excited To See Any Additional Experience With:
- Reviewing, drafting, and negotiating international agreements
- GDPR, CCPA, and general data privacy principles
Salary and Benefits Information:
The Mozilla Foundation is dedicated to fair and equitable compensation for our staff. We aim to pay a competitive and market-based salary that takes into consideration the responsibilities and requirements of the role. We aim to offer at the midpoint of our salary ranges for the purposes of increasing inclusivity and fairness of our offer process and ensuring internal equity. We do not ask for, or take into account, salary histories in our offer process.
The base salary ranges, along with mid-point, for this role in each of the key countries in which we employ staff is listed below. We target the 75th percentile of market pay as a salary band midpoint for all levels, with 10% either side of the midpoint to create a salary range.
- Germany: €77,973 - €95,300 (mid-point: €86,637)
- UK: £46,884 - £57,302 (mid-point: £52,093)
- Canada: $89,666 - $109,591 (mid-point: $99,629)
- US: $84,308 - $103,043 (mid-point: $93,675)
Depending on the successful candidate’s location, we may also add in a geographic differential to this base salary that accounts for local job market weighting. This differential is applied to the above ranges depending on the successful candidate’s location. Below are some of the common cities in which we hire staff along with representative examples of salary ranges, along with mid-point, with the geographical differential applied:
- Inner London: £51,103 - £62,459 (mid-point: £56,781)
- Toronto: $96,749 - $118,249 (mid-point: $107,499)
- New York: $93,412 - $114,171 (mid-point: $103,791)
The range for your specific location will be discussed in screening conversations if your application is successful.
We offer the following benefits:
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance + Accidental Death & Dismemberment
- Short-Term Disability and Long-Term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Retirement Plan contributions
- 20 Paid Time Off days per year (prorated) + your birthday
- Company Holidays + Shutdown
- Wellness budget
- Professional Development budget
- Top up program for Maternity and Parental leaves
Benefits are subject to change at any time at the discretion of Mozilla Foundation.
Mozilla Foundation Hiring Practices:
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities and expressions.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation at email@example.com.
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 700+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 9 global offices: Mountain View, San Francisco, Portland, Vancouver, Toronto, Paris, London, Berlin, and Beijing
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice