- Remote Germany
MDN Web Docs is the premier technical reference for web developers, with over 17 million global users and 1,000 volunteer content contributors per month working to help make a better web. Web developers love MDN, and we are looking for an experienced user experience designer who can help us deliver a better overall user experience on MDN as well as build new premium products.
Our team is newly formed, working much like a startup. We believe in making an impact over job descriptions and we all chip in when work needs doing. You will report directly to the Head of MDN and will be working closely with our product, engineering and content teams to define, design, and iterate on the products we build. You’ll use design principles and best practices to research, sketch, create prototypes, and support with user testing.
Our team is highly distributed; working from home full-time is acceptable.
Please note, this is a 12-month fixed-term engagement.
- Provide support in identifying opportunities to improve the existing website (developer.mozilla.org) by crafting human-centric experiences that are intuitive, usable, and delightful.
- Help create new premium services that better enable our users to have an optimized experience on MDN.
- Develop complete flows, storyboards, design wireframes and participate on UI Designs and Design Systems.
- Deliver final designs into production and collaborate closely with our product, engineering, content and QA teams.
- Bachelor’s degree in Design or comparable experience, demonstrated through a portfolio.
- 3+ years of experience designing digital products.
- A passion for creating excellent services.
- Problem framing and solving skills.
- Strong portfolio of interaction design, with examples of both process and final product.
- Ability to rapidly generate, visualize and iterate design solutions in a collaborative, globally distributed environment.
- Skillset in end-to-end UX process; from research to final design.
- Ability to work with a geographically distributed team of staff and volunteers.
Nice to have
Open Source design experience is a plus
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and expressions.
We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, as appropriate. Please contact us at email@example.com to request accommodation.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. Mozilla will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics or any other unlawful behavior, conduct, or purpose.
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 700+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 9 global offices: Mountain View, San Francisco, Portland, Vancouver, Toronto, Paris, London, Berlin, and Beijing
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice