At Pocket, we love what we do, but more importantly we are building something that millions of people love, too. Pocket has become crucial to how over 100M people discover and consume content worthy of their time and attention.
We’re looking for a passionate and skilled Android engineer to bring to life key aspects of our Android app.If you are passionate about using technology to improve people's lives, we believe Pocket has challenges that will excite you.
We're a small team within a well-established organization (Pocket was acquired by Mozilla in 2017), and that means lots of opportunity to build, learn and grow in a variety of areas, collaborate closely with fellow team members from many different fields, and to own things from start to finish that have tremendous impact on large numbers of people.
Our Android app has been recognized time and again as a leader on the platform. Our users agree: Pocket for Android is one of the few mobile apps that can claim a decade of near-perfect user ratings. We take advantage of new Android features as they are announced. Come work with us and make a huge impact.
What you’ll do:
What you already have:
- Grow your skills in every part of developing an app, from UI down to the underlying architectures that bring apps to life.
- Create a dynamic, flexible, native user experience that allows our users to discover, save, organize, consume, and share millions of articles.
- Work closely with our existing mobile engineers to build an extraordinary engineering experience for yourself and your peers.
- Collaborate with engineers, data scientists, designers, product managers, and support teams to create a wonderful product experience for Pocket’s Android users.
- Participate daily in decisions influencing the future of Pocket and its mobile platform.
If you don’t meet 100% of the above qualifications we still encourage you to apply!What’s the team like?
- Interest in growing. This might include learning about established industry-wide technologies and patterns. Just as well it might be learning our internal solutions tailored to our specific needs. Finally we’d love it if you loved experimenting with new technologies.
- Passion for building good products.
- Experience resolving problems, signaling risk, fostering change, and facilitating collaborative decision-making in a cross-functional team.
- Real-world Android experience ideally with contributions to one or more high quality Android apps.
- Knowledge of the Android SDK.
- Experience with Kotlin and/or Java.
Pocket is a distributed team headquartered in San Francisco. We were remote-friendly before it was cool: the Pocket team works from home, co-working spaces, and Mozilla offices. The mobile engineering team has members across time zones in the USA and Europe. Video conferencing, Slack, JIRA, and shared documents keep everyone in the loop. We work hard to make sure no one feels isolated, and lean heavily on communication and collaboration as hallmarks of our success.
As a subsidiary of Mozilla, we have the nimbleness of a small team with the resources of a large company. Each teammate is empowered to make a big impact, but our working hours are flexible. We know you have a life outside the office, and we value that and the perspective it brings—you’re human, we’re human, and everyone at Pocket is treated with utmost respect.
Send us your resume, along with:Any Android apps to which you have contributed (ideally available in Google Play or other app stores); and/or personal projects that show your love for solving interesting problems and building delightful user experiences on Android. If you have any technical writing samples, whether from a publication or blog, we’d love to see that as well—or anything else that helps you to put your best foot forward in regards to your talent for successful communication.
About Mozilla Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belongingMozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and expressions.
We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, as appropriate. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
to request accommodation.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. Mozilla will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics or any other unlawful behavior, conduct, or purpose.