Sunbird 1.0 beta1 is the latest release of our standalone calendar application. We recommend that all users upgrade to this latest version.
The following features have been added to Sunbird 1.0 beta1:
- You can now define multiple alarms for a single event
- CalDAV support and interoperability with various CalDAV servers have been improved
- The application stability, performance and memory consumption have been improved
- A full list of changes that have gone into this release can be found on The Rumbling Edge website.
Release Date: March 30, 2010
Downloading and Installing
Before installing, make sure your computer meets the system requirements. Mac OS X users must have Mac OS X 10.2 or greater, and Windows users must have Windows XP or later.
Windows releases prior to Windows XP are working but may display event times erroneously due to outdated timezone on the operating system level. This can be fixed using unofficial patches. Users should read the known issues section for more information.
Mozilla.org provides Sunbird for Windows, Linux, Solaris, and Mac OS X in a variety of languages. To get Sunbird 1.0 beta1, download it here.
For builds for other systems and languages not provided, see the Contributed Builds section at the end of this document.
Once you have downloaded Sunbird, follow these instructions to install:
IMPORTANT: Install the updated timezones for Windows.
Information on obtaining the updated timezones can be found in
Microsoft Knowledge Base
Not updating your Windows timezones will result in unreliable and erroneous display and entry of time data! Be sure to do this!
Before installing, uninstall any previous versions of Sunbird you may have. From the Start menu, choose Control Panel. When the Control Panel appears, double click Add/Remove Programs. Select "Mozilla Sunbird" in the list and click Removeto uninstall.
Then, double click the installer to start the install.
Mac OS X
Once you have downloaded the
file, double click the Sunbird Disk Image to open it in Finder, and then
drag the Sunbird application onto your hard disk. Drag the icon to your
Dock if you want it to appear there.
Linux/GTK2 and Solaris/GTK2
Extract the tarball in the directory where you want to install Sunbird:
tar -xzvf sunbird-1.0b1.en-US.linux-i686.tar.gz
This will create a
sunbird subdirectory of that directory.
Extract the compressed archive and run
To uninstall Sunbird, follow these instructions:
From the Start menu, choose Control Panel. When the Control Panel appears, double click Add/Remove Programs. Find "Mozilla Sunbird (1.0b1)" in the list and click Remove to uninstall.
Mac OS X
Sunbird application to the Trash.
These instructions leave your profile in place in case you install Sunbird again in the future. If you wish to remove your profile folder, remove the location described below in the "Profile Folder" section. Note that by doing this you are destroying all of your calendars, saved passwords, settings and other information and should you decide to use Sunbird again you will be starting with a clean profile.
Sunbird stores your user data in one of the following locations:
|Windows 2000, XP||Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Application Data\Mozilla\Sunbird|
|Mac OS X||~/Library/Application Support/Sunbird|
|Linux and Solaris||~/.mozilla/sunbird|
This list covers the major known issues with Sunbird 1.0 beta1. Please read this list before reporting any new bugs.
- Sunbird 1.0 beta1 will attempt to guess your timezone on startup. As this is only a best guess, you must manually set the timezone in the Sunbird Preferences/Options dialog before entering data. Not doing so may cause events to appear at the wrong time
- The experimental support for viewing remote calendars offline has various known issues in the area of performance and calendar data display. It does not support the offline editing of events and tasks
- It is impossible to load several calendars with different passwords on the same server. (bug 247486)
- "By weekday" and "by day" recurrence types (such as "recur on the last weekday of the month") are not supported. (bug 322458)
- Concurrent editing of remote calendars by multiple users can lose data. (bug 329570)
- Under some instances the "Do you want to save your changes" dialog does not come up when editing events in the event dialog. (bug 364387)
- Multiple windows of the same single event can be opened from the Agenda, the task list and the unifinder. (bug 373251)
- Popup alarms/reminders don't work with WCAP server (bug 380423)
- Adding events or tasks to a CalDAV calendar whose display has been turned off, will not re-enable the display of that calendar. (bug 421986)
- There are interoperability issues with versions of the DAViCal (RSCDS) CalDAV server prior to release 0.9.5. People using earlier releases of DAViCal are advised to stay with Sunbird 0.8 until they can upgrade their DAViCal installation to the current version. (bug 448453)
- Events with an UID that contains '/' are not displayed (bug 465853)
- Due to an internal database upgrade, the first startup after upgrading from 0.9 to 1.0 beta1 will be slow. This is a one-time issue and will not happen again. (Bug 529326)
- Sunbird breaks viewing RSS feeds in Wide and Vertical Layouts (Bug 532071)
- Printing a calendar does not work on the first attempt, but will work on the following attempts. (bug 351581)
Other Resources and Links
The following resources contain useful information about Sunbird:
Thanks to the hard work of our localization teams, Sunbird 1.0 beta1 ships with the following locales pre-installed:
- Basque - Euskara
- Catalan - Català
- Chinese (Simplified) - 中文 (简体)
- Czech - Čeština
- Danish - Dansk
- Dutch - Nederlands
- English (United States)
- Estonian - Eesti keel
- French - Français
- Frisian - Frysk
- Galician - Galego
- Georgian - ქართული
- German - Deutsch
- Hebrew - עברית
- Hungarian - Magyar
- Indonesian - Bahasa Indonesia
- Irish - Gaeilge
- Icelandic - íslenska
- Italian - Italiano
- Japanese - 日本語
- Korean - 한국어
- Lithuanian - lietuvių
- Norwegian (Bokmål) - Norsk bokmål
- Norwegian (Nynorsk) - Norsk nynorsk
- Polish - Polski
- Portuguese (Brazilian) - Português (do Brasil)
- Portuguese (Portugal) - Português (Europeu)
- Punjabi - ਪੰਜਾਬੀ
- Romanian - română
- Russian - Русский
- Sinhala - සිංහල
- Slovak - Slovenský
- Spanish (Latin America) - Español (de América)
- Spanish (Spain) - Español (de España)
- Tamil (Sri Lanka) - தமிழ் (இலங்கை)
- Turkish - Türkçe
- Vietnamese - Tiếng Việt