Lightning 1.0 beta7 is the latest release of our calendar extension for Mozilla Thunderbird®. We recommend that all users upgrade to this latest version.The most important bugfixes in this release are:
- Allow using calendars with the same realm but a different password (see bug 247486 for how to enable)
- Make backups of the database before upgrading
- Separate theming for Linux, allowing for more fine grained style fixes
- Startup speed improvements for cached calendars
- Perforamnce improvements for parsing events
Release Date: September 26, 2011
Downloading and Installing
Before installing, make sure your computer meets the system requirements. Mozilla.org provides Lightning for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X in a variety of languages. Windows users must have Windows XP or later.
IMPORTANT: Install the updated timezones for Windows XP
or later. Information on obtaining the updated timezones can be found in
Microsoft Knowledge Base
Not updating your Windows timezones will result in unreliable and erroneous display and entry of time data! Be sure to do this!
To get Lightning 1.0 beta7, download it here.
For builds for other systems and languages not provided, see the Contributed Builds section at the end of this document.
Lightning runs as an extension for Mozilla
Older versions of Thunderbird are no longer supported. Please use the earlier 1.0b5 (Thunderbird 5 and 6) or 1.0b2 (Thunderbird 3.1) or 0.9 (Thunderbird 2.0) release if you still use an earlier version of Thunderbird.
- Right-click (Control-click on Mac) the download link and choose "Save Link As..." to download and save the .XPI file to your your hard disk
- In Mozilla Thunderbird, under the "Tools" menu, open the "Add-ons Manager"
- Click the "Install" button, locate and select the .XPI file you downloaded in step 1, and click "OK"
- Restart Mozilla Thunderbird
If you are using Seamonkey, the current Lightning release supports versions 2.4.
This list covers the major known issues with Lightning 1.0 beta7. Please read this list before reporting any new bugs.
- There is a critical error in Lightning 1.0b4 that makes some reminders undismissable. This release fixes that issue
- Lightning 1.0 beta7 will attempt to guess your timezone on startup. As this is only a best guess, you must manually set the timezone in the Thunderbird Preferences/Options dialog before entering data. Not doing so may cause events to appear at the wrong time
- The experimental support for viewing remote calendars offline has known issues in the area of performance and calendar data display. It does not support the offline editing of events and tasks, although work is in progress here.
- "By weekday" and "by day" recurrence types (such as "recur on the last weekday of the month") are not supported. (bug 322458)
- There are intermittent issues when modifying occurrences of recurring events via iMIP and Copy/Paste. (bug 354578)
- E-Mail invites sent out by Lightning in Outlook 2000/2002/XP compatibility mode, will only be shown by Outlook 2000 if the Service Pack 3 (SP3) has been installed. (bug 377761)
- Popup alarms/reminders don't work with WCAP server (bug 380423)
- Lightning cannot send out task invitations and you cannot accept or decline task invitations from within your e-mail inbox. (bug 445982)
- Events with an UID that contains '/' are not displayed (bug 465853)
- Lightning breaks viewing RSS feeds when changing layout mode (wide, vertical, ...) (Bug 532071)
Other Resources and Links
The following resources contain useful information about Lightning:
To get support, please visit Mozilla Messaging's support page. If possible, please tag your question, idea or problem with "Lightning".
Thanks to the hard work of our localization teams, Lightning 1.0 beta7 ships with the following locales pre-installed:
- Albanian - Gjuha shqipe
- Basque - Euskara
- Catalan - Català
- Chinese (Simplified) - 中文 (简体)
- Chinese (Traditional) - 中文 (繁體)
- Czech - Čeština
- Danish - Dansk
- Dutch - Nederlands
- German - Deutsch
- English (Great Britain)
- English (United States)
- Estonian - Eesti keel
- Spanish (Spain) - Español (de España)
- Finnish - Suomi
- French - Français
- Frisian - Frysk
- Galician - Galego
- Hungarian - Magyar
- Indonesian - Bahasa Indonesia
- Icelandic - íslenska
- Irish - Gaeilge
- Italian - Italiano
- Japanese - 日本語
- Lithuanian - lietuvių
- Norwegian (Bokmål) - Norsk bokmål
- Norwegian (Nynorsk) - Norsk nynorsk
- Polish - Polski
- Punjabi - ਪੰਜਾਬੀ
- Portuguese (Portugal) - Português (Europeu)
- Russian - Русский
- Scottish Gaellic - Gàidhlig
- Slovak - Slovenský
- Slovenian - Slovenščina
- Serbian - српски
- Swedish - Svenska
- Turkish - Türkçe
- Ukrainian - украї́нська мо́ва
These are unofficial builds and may be configured differently than the official mozilla.org builds. They may also be optimized and/or tested for specific platforms.