Lightning 1.0 beta5 is the latest release of our calendar extension for Mozilla Thunderbird®. We recommend that all users upgrade to this latest version. This release fixes some urgent issues that slipped in to 1.0b4. The most important are:
- Remote calendar with webcal:// location not working
- Thunderbird Does Not Process Meeting Invites from Outlook, Google Calendar
- Startup crash [@ cal::UTC()]
- wcap not working since TB5 and Lightning 1.0b4rc2
- Snoozing/Dismissing one event on alarm popup closes entire window
- Event invitation not sent out when Outlook compatiblity is checked
Release Date: July 29, 2011
Downloading and Installing
Before installing, make sure your computer meets the system requirements. Mozilla.org provides Lightning for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X in a variety of languages. Windows users must have Windows XP or later.
IMPORTANT: Install the updated timezones for Windows XP
or later. Information on obtaining the updated timezones can be found in
Microsoft Knowledge Base
Not updating your Windows timezones will result in unreliable and erroneous display and entry of time data! Be sure to do this!
To get Lightning 1.0 beta5, download it here.
For builds for other systems and languages not provided, see the Contributed Builds section at the end of this document.
Lightning runs as an extension for Mozilla
Older versions of Thunderbird are no longer supported. Please use the earlier 1.0b1 (Thunderbird 3.0), 1.0b2 (Thunderbird 3.1) or 0.9 (Thunderbird 2.0) release if you still use an earlier version of Thunderbird.
- Right-click (Control-click on Mac) the download link and choose "Save Link As..." to download and save the .XPI file to your your hard disk
- In Mozilla Thunderbird, under the "Tools" menu, open the "Add-ons Manager"
- Click the "Install" button, locate and select the .XPI file you downloaded in step 1, and click "OK"
- Restart Mozilla Thunderbird
If you are using Seamonkey, the current Lightning release supports versions 2.1 and 2.2.
This list covers the major known issues with Lightning 1.0 beta5. Please read this list before reporting any new bugs.
- There was critical error in Lightning 1.0b4 that makes some reminders undismissable. This release fixes that problem.
- Lightning 1.0 beta5 will attempt to guess your timezone on startup. As this is only a best guess, you must manually set the timezone in the Thunderbird Preferences/Options dialog before entering data. Not doing so may cause events to appear at the wrong time
- The experimental support for viewing remote calendars offline has various known issues in the area of performance and calendar data display. It does not support the offline editing of events and tasks, although work is in progress here.
- It is impossible to load several calendars with different passwords on the same server. (bug 247486)
- "By weekday" and "by day" recurrence types (such as "recur on the last weekday of the month") are not supported. (bug 322458)
- There are intermittent issues when modifying occurrences of recurring events via iMIP and Copy/Paste. (bug 354578)
- Multiple windows of the same single event can be opened from the Agenda, the task list and the unifinder. (bug 373251)
- E-Mail invites sent out by Lightning in Outlook 2000/2002/XP compatibility mode, will only be shown by Outlook 2000 if the Service Pack 3 (SP3) has been installed. (bug 377761)
- Popup alarms/reminders don't work with WCAP server (bug 380423)
- Adding events or tasks to a CalDAV calendar whose display has been turned off, will not re-enable the display of that calendar. (bug 421986)
- Lightning cannot send out task invitations and you cannot accept or decline task invitations from within your e-mail inbox. (bug 445982)
- There are interoperability issues with versions of the DAViCal (RSCDS) CalDAV server prior to release 0.9.5. People using earlier releases of DAViCal are advised to stay with Lightning 0.8 until they can upgrade their DAViCal installation to the current version. (bug 448453)
- Events with an UID that contains '/' are not displayed (bug 465853)
- Lightning breaks viewing RSS feeds when changing layout mode (wide, vertical, ...) (Bug 532071)
- Printing a calendar does not work on the first attempt, but will work on the following attempts. (bug 351581)
Other Resources and Links
The following resources contain useful information about Lightning:
To get support, please visit Mozilla Messaging's support page. If possible, please tag your question, idea or problem with "Lightning".
Thanks to the hard work of our localization teams, Lightning 1.0 beta5 ships with the following locales pre-installed:
- Albanian - Gjuha shqipe
- Basque - Euskara
- Catalan - Català
- Chinese (Simplified) - 中文 (简体)
- Chinese (Traditional) - 中文 (繁體)
- Czech - Čeština
- Danish - Dansk
- Dutch - Nederlands
- English (Great Britain)
- English (United States)
- Estonian - Eesti keel
- Finnish - Suomi
- French - Français
- Frisian - Frysk
- German - Deutsch
- Hungarian - Magyar
- Indonesian - Bahasa Indonesia
- Irish - Gaeilge
- Italian - Italiano
- Icelandic - íslenska
- Lithuanian - lietuvių
- Norwegian (Bokmål) - Norsk bokmål
- Norwegian (Nynorsk) - Norsk nynorsk
- Japanese - 日本語
- Polish - Polski
- Portuguese (Portugal) - Português (Europeu)
- Punjabi - ਪੰਜਾਬੀ
- Russian - Русский
- Scottish Gaellic - Gàidhlig
- Serbian - српски
- Slovak - Slovenský
- Spanish (Latin America) - Español (de América)
- Spanish (Spain) - Español (de España)
- Swedish - Svenska
- Turkish - Türkçe
- Ukrainian - украї́нська мо́ва
These are unofficial builds and may be configured differently than the official mozilla.org builds. They may also be optimized and/or tested for specific platforms.