- Go to the link above for your operating system and follow the instructions on the addons.mozilla.org website.
- In Thunderbird, open the extension manager in the Tools/Add-ons menu
- Click the Install button, and locate, select the file you downloaded and click "OK"
- Close and reopen Thunderbird to finish the install
Alternatively, you can use the addons manager from inside Thunderbird to install Lightning.
The first time you run Thunderbird after installing Lightning, be sure to go to the Lightning pane in the Preferences or Options dialog and manually set your timezone correctly, and then restart Thunderbird once more. This will prevent your events from being created in wrong timezone.
Builds for platforms other than the trio officially offered by Mozilla.org can be found on the FTP site.
We have different types of builds for development and testing.
For Thunderbird Beta builds
The Thunderbird Beta builds can be obtained from the Thunderbird channels page. Beta versions are genreally released not more than once a week, as they are the for the final polish, they will have more stability than Earlybird or Daily versions.
To get the latest beta version of Lightning compatible with the Thunderbird Betas:
- Visit our addons.mozilla.org page
- scroll down to the bottom, and select Development Channel
- Follow the instructions given to install into Thunderbird.
for Earlybird development builds
Earlybird builds are feature-frozen, and so the interface won't change as frequently Daily builds. They may be less stable than Thunderbird Beta builds, these builds get updated every day, but you'll need to re-install from the ftp site to get the latest update.
For Daily development builds:
The Daily builds are where we do most of our work. Occasionally these may break, and in the rare case have caused dataloss, these are recommended for development and testing purposes only.